[thelist] [DNS] Free Tip

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Jul 31 16:44:48 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David A. Ulevitch" <davidu at everydns.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 5:22 PM

> > Three different hosts domains, three different companies, etc.  That way
> > one
> > companies screw-up won't kill my domain.
>
> That's not a bad way of thinking...the only pain is keeping them all in
> sync when you make changes.  If you let them slave off a master you're
> kind of defeating the purpose of having them all seperate.

This is what killed Verisign today.  They pushed a truncated zone file out
to their 4 major server farms and therefore many domains simply disappeared.
They didn't have any checks in place at the individual farms to ensure that
the zone file was checksumed before accepting it.

You'd think that the individual servers would compare the old and the new
and throw a big fat flag if the new zone file was appreciably larger or
smaller than the old one.

Whatever... they learned their lesson... got a free extra year on all my
domains and my clients' domains.  Talk to Chris Sheridan - 312.660.7820 - if
you feel you were harmed by their mess-up and need a bone thrown your way.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com