[thelist] [DNS] Free Tip

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Thu Jul 31 17:01:36 CDT 2003

http://cnet.com.com/2100-1032_3-5058519.html

> On my domain I have one extra DNS server entry pointing to everydns.net.
> That is the only one working at the moment... thank goodness I added it.

That is, if the Nth nameserver is ever checked, or the resolver finds it
and the correct response before the asking client times out (at least
before it times out the first time).  As far as I remember, you're not
guaranteed that a resolver will even attempt to check all of them.

At most you could probably expect it to try the first two.  Or are they
served in a round-robin fashion?  I don't remember.. Anyway, having one
that responds is better than none.. but one out of four would be better
than one out of seven..

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/