[thelist] interactive calendar solution for a very large, busy social calendar?

unruly mongrel unrulymongrel at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 23:51:01 CDT 2003

Hello all.

I have a client who maintains a community events calendar for a
multiple-counties wide area.  It's getting so big (popular), they can't
handle maintaining it by hand anymore.  So we're looking for a way to
automate the process.

I have searched google far and wide and am finding TONS of calendar
"solutions", scripts, utilities, etc, but am not impressed with anything
I've found.  I'm wary of installing a PHP script, also, on this client's
site, and then leaving them to fend for themselves, against possible
security intrusions (I've heard more popular scripts are more subject to
hacker attacks. True?)

This client deals with over 100 event promoters.  So we're hoping to find a
solution where the event promoters can add the event to the calendar
themselves.  But to guard against abuse of the calendar, they'd add the
events to a background calendar, and then we'd go in and pull acceptable
entries to the main, "for the public" calendar.  I would like to be able to
customize field entries, be able to specify, for example, that the promoters
can add name of the event, description, ticket costs, registration details,
location, contact email, website, etc, and would like the calendar utility
to create out of this info calendar event listings that are well formatted,
all particular event details in pre-established places, rather than a gangly
paragraph of unorganized test.

But not only that, I'm hoping to find one that I can fine tune visually, get
it to fit in with my client's website's visual scheme. Oh, and this as well:
  this is a nonprofit client, and we're hoping to not get gauged $ too much
for this.

Am I hoping against hope?  Can anyone recommend solutions?

Thanks in advance. Apologies if this topic has been done already; I searched
the Evolt site articles and such for "calendar" and it gave me 0 returns.

-d
www.unrulybeast.com