[thelist] Setting up a form to e-mail

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sun Aug 3 22:54:12 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy Johnson" <amy_and_rick at earthlink.net>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 11:42 PM

> Hi all.  In the past I have used Soupermail to e-mail the fields of a
> form to the webmaster.  I have also dabbled in ASPMail.  Now I have a
> client who is hosted by a company that does not support any scripts.
> I can however create my own Perl script, they will just not add
> anything to their server for me.  Is there anyway to have the results
> of a form e-mailed to someone without having support from the ISP?  I
> don't like the mailto: method because it just seems flaky to me.

I'm a little confused... does the server already support Perl?

Couple other questions:

1.  Does the ISP have a mail server that you can relay through?
2.  When you say that they do not support any scripts, does that mean that
the scripting engines are not installed or that they will not support any
scripts you write?

If they *do* support ASP and the server is Windows based, look at the CDO
object:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cdo/html/_olemsg_message_object.asp?frame=true

If they don't have a mail server nor any scripting engines installed, is
having the form post to a different sever a possibility?  If so you could
recode the form to post to this other box, do whatever you need, then
redirect back to the original site.  Depending on the security setting of
the browser the user may get a warning, though.

Ultimately, if the host is not being helpful you may want to ask your client
about moving to a new host.

Good luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer