[thelist] Re-post: Mozilla and DesignMode

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Mon Aug 4 13:20:23 CDT 2003

(I posted this over the weekend, so it's possible it got missed.  Or, I'm just not explaining it well enough.  Sorry if the formatting is weird here, I'm doing this re-post in webmail and hoping the line breaks aren't all screwed up)

I'm trying to implement the Cross-Browser Rich-Text Editor (as available at http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm -- the creator of it hasn't gotten back to me at this point) and have it working in IE6.

However, on Mozilla 1.3 (it's only supposed to work on Moz 1.3+), I'm having quite a few difficulties.

My problem line right now is in a JS file and looks like this:
document.getElementById('testFrame').contentDocument.designMode = "on";

That's giving me the following error:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMNSHTMLDocument.designMode]" nsresult:
 "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
http://www.squidswimteam.org/dev/lib/htmlEdit/richtext.js :: Start :: line 141"  data: no]

Before that, I'm able to output the value of the designMode attribute (it's "off"), but it appears I can't set it.

If you'd like to see how I'm implementing it, you can go to:

http://www.squidswimteam.org/dev/index.cfm/fuseaction/members.dsp_announcement_edit.cfm

You'll need to login, so I've created a test user:
user name:  tester
password: tester

I'm open to suggestions on what's going on.

Thanks!

Scott