[thelist] IE6 doesnt like spacer gifs?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Aug 5 05:45:30 CDT 2003

At 10:39 05/08/2003 +0100, Simon Willison wrote:
>I haven't used a spacer.gif in well over a year, and to be honest I've
>more or less forgotten what I had to use them for in the first place,
>but I'm certain that anything they are being used for in a traditional
>table based layout could be achieved by adding a small amount of CSS
>instead. I'd be happy to give examples if someone would post a few
>classic uses for spacers - in fact, techniques for replacing spacer
>gifs with CSS could make a good article for Evolt.

   It would, and I'd be very happy to see it. I'd really like to see some
work done on how to convert spacer.gif-built layouts to decent CSS
routinely, as Adobe's otherwise rather wonderful Imageready is very fond of
its spacers, and that's the tool I've found myself using most over the last
year. For the graphics heavy work that SIA's marketing works with, it's
pretty much essential.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365701