[thelist] ASP - Regular Expressions

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Tue Aug 5 11:39:58 CDT 2003

At 03:20 AM 2003-08-05 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't want the user to be able to input '--text' or 'text--' but able to
>input 'te-xt'.
>
>At the moment this is working properly for everything but 'text--'. It
>still allows the user to do this. I don't really know why except that it
>relates to the $ sign, because I first read about regular expressions today.

The following will accept any alpha-numeric (or dashes) that is not
preceded or followed by one or more dashes. If there is not one or more
matches, it will fail-- test failed.

    ^([^-]*[a-zA-Z0-9-][^-]*)+$

^ line start
    [1] repeat at least 1 time
       (
          [^-]* Any character that is not a dash
          [a-zA-Z0-9-] Any upper or lower case alpha-num or dash
          [^-]* Any character that is not a dash
       )+
    [/1]
$ line end

Because this is all grouped, it's treated as a single unit. if you were to
remove the brackets, each [expression] would be considered one character.

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.