[thelist] Charging for copyrights

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Wed Aug 6 04:00:08 CDT 2003

Cake wrote:

> Andy Budd wrote:
>
>> Under UK (and international law I believe) if you create
>> something you own the copyright.
>
> This being the case, am I right in presuming that's it true whether
> you're a freelancer, or directly working for a company as an employee
> (unless your contract of employment states otherwise) ?

Sorry, it's actually the organization that creates it that gets
copyright, not the individual. So if you're an employee of a company
then the company own the copyright. However if you're a freelancer
working for another company, you're a separate organization, not an
employee so you own copyright.

This means that if you're an employee and build a personal site in your
work time, your employers own the copyright. However if a company
brings you in on a project as a freelancer, unless specified in your
contract, everything you create for that company, you own.