[thelist] [Security] Any security risks with Low privacy settinings IE?

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Wed Aug 6 10:35:15 CDT 2003

chris,

> Okay, thank you. So cookies are not in and of themselve malicious in
> anyway. So am I totaly out to lunch here getting upset with a company that
> requires users to set their computers to accept all cookies? or do I have
> a valid complaint? I guess that is really what I would like to know. Is
> this doing a disservice to users and knowningly exposing them to privacy
> threats or am I totaly out to lunch in trying to fight this?

i agree that some (or many) users will have a problem with it.
old dogs/new tricks/paranoia/wives tales/legitimate reasons aside.
people don't like being told they have to do *anything*.
it starts in toddler-dom and magnifies with age.

you might be able to compromise by supplying instructs for allowing all
cookies *only* from company A's website.

in Internet Explorer, to edit cookie intake on a site-by-site basis:
-> Tools ->Internet Options - Privacy tab -> "edit.." button at page bottom.

mozilla only has general settings for all sites,
opera lets you create settings with a filter, that can be set domains.

hth,

nagrom
http://morgankelsey.com