[thelist] The New Worm - need some help to clean it

J.C. Johnson lead at offlead.com
Tue Aug 12 10:42:33 CDT 2003

> THanks everyone for all the help. I owe a tip.
> Tom

Well, I for one would like to just thank Tom for having brought this to
the list. I was at work all day yesterday and read just enough of the
thread that when I got home and started immediately having trouble with my
system that I actually knew what it was. Saved me a lot of time! I think I
successfully rid my system of the damned thing, though I'll know more when
I get back home tonight and try again to do actual work on it.

I do admit that I was more focused last night on cleaning up the mess, and
getting to a point where I might be able to get some work done, so while I
picked off some of the links for where to go to get updates, and and info
on what to do to clean up my system, I did not go over the entire thread.
Was there something unusual about this particular worm? I've never been
infected by worm or virus before, but this one hit me before I could even
get all my email downloaded, much less read, and this over Eudora, not
Outlook. In fact, I logged onto my isp last night, and an update came over
from symantec before my email could even finish downloading. Less than 2
minutes after logging onto the isp, I experienced my first crash, taking
out Eudora. After a few crashes of eudora, and the flashcom server,
Symantec also started giving me fits, and then it all just went downhill
from there.

But thanks again, Tom, as if you hadn't brought your problem to thelist, I
wouldn't have known what I was dealing with until I'd wasted MUCH more
time on it.

Jeniffer