[thelist] backing up your databases, just in case

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Tue Aug 12 11:02:08 CDT 2003

> The network admin came in the next day and proceeded to try to
> get the database restored from our nightly backups, but, wouldn't
> you know, the backup from before I screwed up the database had
> been overwritten by the previous night's backup.

This also underscores the importance of rotating your backup media.
I recommend the Tower of Hanoi algorithm, which guarantees that you'll
have a good spread, just in case you don't know exactly when you
clobbered a given file.

(Which reminds me, I'm overdue to do my backups.)