[thelist] Bold vs. Strong

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Aug 12 19:55:18 CDT 2003

> > bold is a VISUAL SCANNING CUE in this context, and it would
> > NOT MAKE SENSE to have aural browsers EMPHASIZE those
> > words while actually READING THE COPY

poor example, because it's actually closer to the comic book dialogue
example

but the point is, you can visually "scan ahead" when words are bolded

> This is a case when you'd want to realize that these phrases are not
> important because they are BOLD but rather because they optimally
> convey the meaning of a paragraph.

did you intend to say "optically" instead of "optimally" perhaps?

> So, you should use some sort of semantic
> differentiation rather than presentation.

that doesn't follow, i'm sorry

it's about presentation, *not* semantics

> In this case you may choose class="keyphrases" or "skim".
> Then apply CSS to make that bold or whatever.

that's just plain silly -- at least, it is to me

there's a perfectly good tag designed for this purpose -- B

that's as stupid as deprecating IMG in favour of OBJECT or whatever

> By doing it this way you've opened the door to being able to
> programatically strip this summarized content off the page if necessary.

strip off?  but that's nonsense!

here, let me strip those words out of the above example:

  bold is a in this context, and it would to have aural browsers
  those words while actually

> No need to use <b> in your example.  Jakob was just lazy.

whether jakob nielsen was lazy or whatever, let's agree to disagree

however, one thing is inescapable --

you cannot do anything without some sort of markup

klar?

so, if you gotta have markup, i prefer B to SPAN

remember, this is for visual interpretation only

STRONG would be wrong

SPAN sucks if there's something better

rudy