[thelist] Bold vs. Strong

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Aug 12 23:47:50 CDT 2003

> What I meant was that skimming those words supposedly
> produced a basic understanding on the content of the text

no, they merely catch your eye

strictly visual

yes, the actual words that you select to highlight in this fashion do matter

and yes, any sort of visual contrast will do

but B isn't deprecated

> > however, one thing is inescapable --
> >
> > you cannot do anything without some sort of markup
>
> Er, duh?

are you asking for an explanation?

you cannot style something unless you have a "hook" in the html

usually this means some kind of markup, a tag

there are exceptions, like descendant selector, child selector, adjacent
sibling selector, and so on

but these methods aren't going to let you style selected words easily

you actually have to use some kind of tag

i just happen to think that SPAN is the worst of the lot

clearer?

rudy