[thelist] Looking for PGP Hosting

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Wed Aug 13 15:01:47 CDT 2003

Says here that "Bob Haroche" <spambait at onpointsolutions.com> wrote:

> A client needs to receive enrypted email generated from a web form.
> Its current virtual hosting company has pgp installed on its server
> but offers no support for it (notwithstanding a $40+/mo. hosting fee,
> incl. SSL), plus the pgp.pl script it provides is based on an old
> version of Matt's formmail.

EWWWW!  http://handsonhowto.com/cgi103.html  ("Perl Police! Step
away from the keyboard!")

> I know we can do better.

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out here a little bit; I've hesitated
to turn evolt loose on this, as I'm sure y'all will find a million and
one things that need to be fixed Right Away, but why put it off....

It's called "SimpleshoPHP" (http://simpleshop.org/) and the final step
in its order process is a PHP form -> GPG/PGP solution.  The trick
is that you use an encryption-only key on the server.  Since the
private key -- the DEcryption key -- is never exposed (because it
never, ever resides on the server) it should be relatively secure.

The entire package is given a walkthrough in excruciating detail,
including setting up PGP (or GPG).  If your client still can't
make it work and needs a hosting provider, feel free to contact
me off list.