[thelist] Re: What's the outlook

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 12:40:12 CDT 2003

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses to my moment of depression thinking about my future in the web field. Can you tolerate a few more questions? Sorry this is so long.

It was mentioned a lot about portable devices. What is the best way to begin learning about working with them? I don't use them, I don't even have a cell phone, so I don't really know how people use them. What kind of content is needed for a small device and how to do you create it? I think you need an emulator, am I right? On MacOSX where do I get an emulator (and do I need fink installed?) And, is developing expertise in XHTML/CSS and semantically correct code a path to success in this area? I mean, do these devices depend on it?

I don't want to get into an OS/browser debate. Honestly I think IE will always dominate. (And the comment about people being clueless about installing any other browser is definitely true. Any dialog box pops up and they think they've been taken over by a virus!)

I signed up for Blogger recently and noticed that in Safari it uses a basic blah web form, but for IE it is set up like a Windows application. I believe that that sort of thing is more the future of the browser: as a delivery device for desktop applications. (I think this'll be true for Apple as well...) Since I flunk every programming class I take, I think I'm not gonna succeed much as a programmer.

About UI/IA. I believe I have a natural talent in that area, although I have MUCH to learn to develop it. It is something I am very interested in. However, --at the company I work for any way-- the attitude is that UI (and HTML and css) can be done by any programmer and isn't really very important. (And believe me, it shows.) They also confuse UI with "pretty", and "pretty" is devalued as well.

I've been taking all the info from this list, and on evolt.org, and everywhere else -- even JavaOne -- on accessibility and usability and valid coding practices and doing what I can to develop a level of expertise. How can I best put this expertise to use? I mean, what could I call myself or how could I market myself so I can succeed? And can I succeed if I'm not a programmer?

Diane at santabarbarahikes.com