[thelist] Re: svg/smil

Javed Alam jalam at cc.ysu.edu
Fri Aug 15 21:24:57 CDT 2003

Ryan Tames wrote:

>On 15 Aug 2003 at 8:16, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
>

>>I want to create SWF for my website, but I don't own Flash. Are there
>>books out there that tell how to code from scratch? Other (free) tools
>>that will allow me to do the same thing? Linux possibly, but not
>>required?
>>

>I just wanted to mention, there SMIL and SVG, two XML
>technologies that are present for multimedia applications.
>
>Browser support may be lacking though.

I just wanted to mention that SVG is supported through a browser plugin
from ADOBE for IE and Corel's plugin will also work for netscape/mozilla.

http://www.adobe.com/svg

The SMIL is supported by real media player and there are some other
browsers such as xsmile

http://www.x-smiles.org

There is a svg profile svg tiny that is also supported on smartphone
etc. same is being done for SMIL so that it could work on smartphones.

Threre is a debate going on whether one should support non standard
based flash for multimedia or not too highly developed svg/smil combo
that is xml standard based for web based multimedia. I am more inclined
towards creating structured documents that can be processed through an
XSL. Therefore I would wait till svg/smil combo catches on.

I have created some  presentations using SVG graphics a vector markup
language, a standard established by W3 consortium. This group is
responsible for maintaing the standards for worldwideweb. I also used
your demo TTS to create synthetic voices for both of these
presentations. I presented both of these at the Summer_Institute_03 that
was held at Youngstown State University. The presentation was very well
received by the summer institute participants.

The key feature here is that these presentation were created in the
simple text editing program eliminating the need of programs such as MS
powerpoint. The same file was rendered in three different presntation
formats by using the style sheet. This approach allows total separation
between presentation content and the actual appearance of this content.
In addition to that synchronized sound file created by the use of TTS
can aslo be attached to each slide of the presentation.

To see this prsentation one will need a PC with sound and Internet
explorer with the SVG plugin from Adobe. The plugin can be donloaded and
installed on the host computer from the url

http://www.adobe.com/svg/

the three different form of the presentation can be found at

http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~jalam/summer_institute_03/presentation/presentation.svg
{ advance quickly to 3 rd slide to sync with first sound file after
opening the presentation}
http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~jalam/summer_institute_03/presentation/presentation1.svg
{ advance quickly to 2 nd slide to sync with first sound file after
opening the presentation}
http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~jalam/summer_institute_03/presentation/presentation3.svg
{ advance quickly to 3 rd slide to sync with first sound file after
opening the presentation}

The sound files are synchronized with the slides hence after every pause
of 5 seconds move to the next slide by using the next slide button in
these three presentations.

I hope you are able to see and hear these presentations

PS: These presentation were created using program called jacksvg
http://titanium.dstc.edu.au/xml/jacksvg/

The sound was created using the demo tts from neospeech
http://neospeech.com/

and it was added to the svg file using the audio name space extension to
svg specifications from ADOBE. I would like to hear groups comment on
this topic where one can create multimedia presentation without the use
of any proprietary program such as MS powerpoint and Macromedia Flash.
The whole presentation could be edited in a plain text editor.

thanks

--

*Javed Alam, *Ph.D.

*Professor*

*Civil/Environmental/Chemical Engineering Department*

Youngstown State University

Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Phone 330-941-3029

Fax     330-941-3265

e-mail jalam at cc.ysu.edu <mailto:jalam at cc.ysu.edu>

web: http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~jalam/ <http://www.eng.ysu.edu/%7Ejalam/>

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be
their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives.
A popular government without popular information or the means of
acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both."
  - James Madison /(Fourth President of the United States)/
<http://opengov1.media.mit.edu/>

"Facts are stupid things..."
  - Ronald Reagan /(40th President of the United States)/
<http://opengov1.media.mit.edu/>