[thelist] photo usage/consent question

Nemesis nemesis at nemesis1.f2o.org
Tue Aug 19 09:56:03 CDT 2003

Bill McBain wrote:
> Hey all,
>

> I work for a summer camp which is owned by a private organization.
> Photography is nowhere in my contract. I am a counselor. I took
> thousands of photos this summer, and put together a staff slideshow. I
> then put this slideshow on my personal website. Some of the photos have
> campers and staff members under 18 in them. I got a call from my (former
> because my seasonal contract ended) boss tonight telling me to pull the
> pictures. He says that I am violating laws because I don't have a
> release form for public consumption of these photos.
> My question is: Is my personal website a public area?

I was a commercial photographer for 15 years. If this camp is in the
U.S. you must have a release signed each person in the photos. If anyone
is under 18 you must have a release signed by a parent of the child.
You do not need a release to displaying the pictures in the privacy of
your home.

You would have a very hard time convincing a judge that your personnel
web site is not in the public arena.

Gary

--
The Nemesis Project