[thelist] PHP book for the wealth-challenged

Ralph Guzman ralph at nqionline.com
Tue Aug 19 16:42:03 CDT 2003

Joel,

I started programming with PHP about 4 yrs ago. At the time there were 3
or 4 PHP books available and I bought all of them. One of those books
was Wrox's Professional PHP programming. The book was probably the best
one at the time. However I read through the book and then put it away
since I ended up doing most of my learning using online tutorials found
on sites like:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/
http://www.zend.com/developers.php
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP
http://www.phpcomplete.com/

AND...the PHP mailing list.

Since then a lot of PHP books have came out. One of the best books I've
seen lately is Oreilly's Programming PHP by Rasmus Lerdoff (the creator
of PHP). It is well written, concise to the point, and the author also
suggest best method approaches to accomplishing certain tasks.

Oreilly books aren't for all beginners. I remember a few years back I
found Oreilly books too complicated and hard to follow but now the only
books I buy are Oreilly books.

My advice is to visit your nearest book store and look through all the
PHP books available. At that point you can decide which is best for you.
Also go to amazon.com search for PHP books and read customer reviews.

Additional books you'll want to look at are:

PHP and MySQL Web Development
by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson

Web Database Applications with PHP & MySQL
by Hugh E. Williams, David Lane (Paperback - March 2002)

MySQL, Second Edition
by Paul DuBois

SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in
SQL
by Michael J. Hernandez, John L. Viescas

Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming
by Joe Celko

And eventually you may want these in your library:

PHP Cookbook
by David Sklar, Adam Trachtenberg

PHP Developer's Cookbook
by Sterling Hughes, Andrei Zmievski