[thelist] Understanding CSS with 3 digit colors ?

Egor Kloos studio at dutchcelt.nl
Wed Aug 20 13:20:45 CDT 2003

> Would someone please explain to me why people
> are defining colors with only 3 hex numbers? For example:

Normally one would use six, I'm sure you're familiar with that
standard. Using three digits is just an abbreviated form of value
notation. For example white as a hex value would be #FFFFFF. Websafe
colors use three pairs of digits like so; #FF0000 or #33CCFF. The use
of hex values in this way allows for obvious abbreviation.
#FFFFFF = #FFF
#FF0000 = #F00
#33CCFF =  #3CF

Using shorthand like this also make a CSS file smaller. Although it may
not look like much any advantage should be utilized. High speed and low
bandwidth, that's something to aim for. A bit here a byte there add up
in the end and makes a difference.
Hope that clears it up.

Egor Kloos

http://www.dutchcelt.nl/