[thelist] photo usage/consent question

Mike Hopkins ironmike at inav.net
Wed Aug 20 20:47:42 CDT 2003

As a former newspaper worker who sometimes had to take photos, the question
as I see it is whether the guardians of your underage subjects had an
expectation of privacy at this private camp on private property operated by
a private organization. Since you were acting outside the scope of your
employment you would generally need a release releasing YOU to use the
photos publically. A release for the camp would not be sufficient.

Legally, the camp has a designated, limited guardianship relationship with
the chiildren and their parents. Any rights not expressly conveyed by the
parents remain with them.

How would you feel if I sneaked into camp and took a thousand photos of you
and put them on my website? If you are underage, how would your parents
feel?

How would you feel if you have to look for a different job next summer?
...or need the camp directors recommendation to get that job?

And yes, the public use of images of children is a VERY hot issue in some
places -- not that I don't think some parents are more than a little
paranoid.

Mike Hopkins
ironmike#inav.net