[thelist] Re: [users at httpd] apache/mysql errors....

Hans van Harten hans at hartenhans.op.het.net
Thu Aug 21 05:06:07 CDT 2003

bruce wrote:
> We have the following setup in our httpd.conf file. We've tried to
> give what's related to the issue. We're trying to set up a virtual
> host for a test project. The behavior that we're seeing is that we
> can type:
> http://foo.com but the url that gets displayed is
> http://12.x.x.x where 12.x.x.x is the address of the external router
> (foo.com is the internal IP of the Internal machine. The machine is
> behind a linksys router.)

> The following information is from the httpd.conf file:
> Listen 80
> ServerName 192.168.1.52
> UseCanonicalName on
Use OFF: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#usecanonicalname
"With UseCanonicalName Off Apache will form self-referential URLs using the
hostname and port supplied by the client if any are supplied (otherwise it
will use the canonical name, as defined above). These values are the same
that are used to implement name based virtual hosts, and are available with
the same clients. The CGI variables SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT will be
constructed from the client supplied values as well."

AFAIK the request to foo.com gets translated to ServerName by Apache -only
on manipulated requests or through scripts-. ServerName, being an IP, is
properly translated by your router to enable public access.
Bar in mind though, if more than one virtual host share a single IP (and
port), the incoming request is non-conclusive ...

HansH