[thelist] PHP & Accessibility

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 21 21:30:22 CDT 2003

Tables and accessibility aren't mutually exclusive. For one thing, you
must use them to display tabular data. There are lots of things you can
do to make your tables more accessible, such as ways to use certain
attributes to link up the column or row headers with the data. As for
tables used for layout, it isn't really a crime. I've seen a demo of a
screen reader that reads the summary attribute of a table, and if it
says "table for layout" or something like that, it isn't totally
horrible. After all, screen readers have been reading html pages longer
than the css for tableless layout has been around (and in my opinion,
tableless layout is still not ready for prime time). Just try to see
how you can reduce the complexity of your layout so you don't have to
have a lot of layout tables. A good thing to do is use the validators
to validate for accessibility and look up section 508 accessibility
standard for more info. All we can do so far is aspire.