[thelist] MySQL/website on different servers

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Fri Aug 22 05:12:31 CDT 2003

'Volters,

Our store's website is hosted on/with Earthlink, which at this time does not
support MySQL, (or any databases, for that matter).

I have personal space hosted with some other folks, that *do* support MySQL,
and I have a nice little PHP web app that will read all the inputed store's
plus, descriptions, prices, etc.

Since my boss doesnt really want to switch hosts, is it possible for the
store's site to access the database on my server? like maybe here somewhere?

@ $db = mysql_pconnect("localhost", "user", "password");

I mean, can i do anything like:
@ $db = mysql_pconnect("http://www.mysite.com/localhost", "user",
"password");

(and i did try this. no luck...)

or is that some kind of security risk thing that would be really really
dumb??

as always, thanks so much for anybody's time!

-Roger Harness

sorry for a dumb question