[thelist] Mac/Windows transfer via USB

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Sun Aug 24 15:38:12 CDT 2003

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 04:18  PM, Lightening wrote:

> I need to transfer some very large files from a Mac(G4Powerbook OS
> my pc(Dell Inspiron laptop with XP).
>
> This mac does not have writeable CD. I'm thinking to do ma USB
> transfer.
> Does anyone know what equipment do we need? Software?

USB?

What do you mean, a USB hard drive connected to the Mac and then to the
Dell? Why not just connect them via ethernet. Every Mac made since the
stone age (ok, like 1992 or something) has ethernet built in. From the
Mac point of view, you just plug it in to the network, turn on file
sharing and go. If you want to hook the two of them up peer to peer (
that is directly one to the other without a network hub involved) you
need a cross over cable aka "patch cable". It is a piece of cake with
Mac OS9 and childlessly simple on OSX. As for what to do on the PC end,
I have done it by mucking around for a while but I couldn't help you
with the details there.

If the Dell has an ethernet card then the transfer should be pretty
quick even if it is many gigabytes.

Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
http://www.gwcreative.com/
gw at gwcreative.com
401.286.9228
Communications and the Art of Simplicity