[thelist] auto-image-resizing best results

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Sun Aug 24 19:51:39 CDT 2003

Hi all,

What method of automatically resizing photographs gives the best quality
results? This is for automatically generating both thumbnails (quality
not too important) and 600px wide images (very important) from high
resolution digital photos. I've been experimenting with GD with PHP, and
although the results it gives are adequate for producing thumbnails they
are slightly flakey for larger images - they're not bad, but they're not
brilliant either.

When I resize a photograph in Fireworks MX (with resample / bicubic,
which are the default settings) the results are stunning. Does anyone
know of a tool that can be run on a Unix server that produces a similar
quality?

Thanks,

Simon Willison