[thelist] Search Engine and MIVA shopping cart filenames

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Mon Aug 25 12:18:21 CDT 2003

Need some help with creating s.e. optimized filenames when locked into creating an ecommerce site using the MIVA shopping cart!

Will soon be setting this up for a new client. MIVA seems to have its own method of naming filenames. Does anyone know if I can change that to more search engine-friendly filenames and still comply with MIVA's rules & regs?

For example, another site constructed using MIVA displays this url for the Home page:
http://www.xyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

and this for the Catalog page:
http://www.xyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=1

and this for one of the Product pages:
http://www.xyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=Antioxidants

As a last resort, I was thinking of creating a Site Map page listing all products (linking to their respective MIVA-named pages) but I don't even know if I'm allowed to put the Home and Site Map pages in the root directory.

Any MIVA-experienced help appreciated!

Best,
Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Opportunity is missed by most people because
it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
             -- Thomas A. Edison