[thelist] OT: Java Virtual Machine problems

Steve Abaffy sabaffy at mswebdevelopment.com
Mon Aug 25 13:14:26 CDT 2003

Hello,

I know this is off topic, but I know you guys would probably know.
Here is the problem I am running Win2K machine with sp4 installed. I have
also gone and used windows update and installed all service packs. So
everything should be up to date. When using a command window and typing in
jview I get the help instructions. According to MS this means that I have
Virtual Machine installed.

Now the problem... there are web sites that when visited (i.e.
www.dallascowboys.com) ask me to download virtual machine. Now if I say
cancel the site shows up and 9 out of 10 times the very first thing I click
on locks up the browser. I have to use the task manager to end the program.
If I say ok, I'll download it, I get a page on microsoft's site telling me
that the page I have visited requires a new version of virtual machine then
I am currently running and directs me to the windows update page. Which of
course does download any newer version of virtual machine.

I have looked on the net and found a version of virtual machine and have
installed that, but the problem has not changed.

Anything that I am overlooking or should check... ????

Thanks
Steve

(And of course as this is off topic you I will be happy to take this off
list)

When we turn the pages of history, when these days have passed long ago
Will they look upon us with sadness for the seeds that we let grow?
Neil Peart.