[thelist] Search Engine and MIVA shopping cart filenames

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Aug 25 14:04:25 CDT 2003

Sharon F. Malone <mailto:sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com>
    on Monday, August 25, 2003 10:18 AM said:

> Need some help with creating s.e. optimized filenames when locked
> into creating an ecommerce site using the MIVA shopping cart!

[snip]

> Any MIVA-experienced help appreciated!

Well I don't know anything about MIVA, but have you considered using
mod_rewrite*? This would allow you to leaves all the filenames the same
but just change the urls from the files.

This could become www.xyz.com/

www.xyz.com/screen/PLST/store_code/1

> and this for one of the Product pages:

http://www.xyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Catego
ry_Code=Antioxidants

www.xyz.com/Screen/CTGY/Store_Code/1/Category_Code/Antioxidants

And of course you could shorten those url's even more but I just stuck
with the basics.

Chris.

* I don't know anything about MIVA so I'm just assuming it's *nix based.
If it's MS based (i.e. running IIS as webserver) there are plenty of
other url rewriting tools for IIS.