[thelist] Apache configuration on OSX

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Thu Aug 28 00:51:04 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 06:12 PM, James wrote:

> FYI, Pico should not really be used as it can insert line feeds
> automatically in your file, which can mess up some configuration > stuff.

Umm, no. It doesn't insert line feeds "automatically". A line may wrap,
and a line feed might be inserted -- hit delete, and it will be back to
one line with a little $ to let you know there's more on that line.
Most config files (hey, guess what, including httpd.conf) don't have
really, really, really long lines that are likely to wrap. Like any
tool, it needs to be used properly.

> I use Vi, although I admit thats far from user friendly

Pico seems to be the easiest to just pick up and use. I think you'll
agree that for the average user, vi will be *much* scarier to use -- an
entire screen filled with ~s does not inspire confidence...

Of course, either tool is fine for basic command line text editing if
you know what you're doing. The "man" page is your friend.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com