[thelist] Apache configuration on OSX

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Thu Aug 28 05:43:53 CDT 2003

Quoth James <evolt at doubtlesshouse.org.uk>

> > 	sudo pico /etc/httpd/httpd.conf
>
> FYI, Pico should not really be used as it can insert line feeds
> automatically in your file, which can mess up some configuration stuff.

Using 'pico -w' largely removes that concern.  One can still
mess up, but if so it's more clearly the fault of the person
typing.  And of course you want to check the syntax with
httpd -t (aka 'apachectl configtest') before you stop the
server, only to find that it doesn't want to restart!

> I use Vi, although I admit thats far from user friendly

Oh, yes.  My secret shame is that I only use vi when it is
_forced_ on me.  ("All of the other admins, always laugh and
call me names....") I _can_ use it, but I never _enjoy_ it.