[thelist] Base64 Encodng and Encryption in ASP

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 10:42:20 CDT 2003

Og wrote:

> Hello all.  I'm working with a merchant account and their instructions
 > are telling me that I have to encode a portion of the form submission
 > with Base64 Encryption.

Alarm bells are ringing: Base64 is NOT an encryption scheme. It is a
useful way for encoding binary content as ascii - for example, it's used
to send binary attachments by email - but it provides absolutely no
additional security as anyone who knows the algorithm can decode it. I
sincerely hope this merchant account has more "security" than just base64!

Best regards,

Simon Willison