[thelist] Querying a legacy app

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Aug 28 15:52:40 CDT 2003

Les Lytollis wrote:

> I am implementing a .NET B2B web-based ordering system which will get
> its data from a Progress DB on AIX  fronted by a bespoke SOP system. For
> a number of reasons, we want to let the SOP system query the Progress DB
> rather than let the web app query it directly, so the web app will make
> a request to the SOP system.
>
> The suppliers of the SOP system are prepared to make some sort of
> listener to accept message requests, but what I can't get my head around
> is how I get the message to and from the SOP system. Do I need to create
> some sort of server or listener on the web app that can accept

Uhhhhh -- depends. :-)

Your web app is the requester, the SOP system is the responder.

Will there always be *one* requester and *one* responder? Or maybe
one-to-many, many-to-one, or many-to-many?

And what is the time requirement on the response? An "immediate"
response like a Web server or "sometime later", batch system style?

The answers to those will influence whether you use a direct SOAP
over HTTP request or an asynchronous message queue.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.