[thelist] Custom Errors in IIS

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 28 20:56:32 CDT 2003

I think I understand this.

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 01:11 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> I have been creating custom ASP error pages to display and setting up =
> IIS to use them in the event of 404 or ASP errors. The problem with it
> =
> is I have it set to URL then the file name and many times if there is
> an =
> include file on a page or sometimes on a recordset the error page will
> =
> display in the middle of the page (in place of the include) as opposed
> =
> to instead of this page. If I set IIS to File then the complete path, =
> the browser displays the ASP code from the file. Any suggestions?From
> taranis at spittingllamas.com Wed Aug 27 20:13:20 2003

I do this on a jsp site that I work on. I have an error page for
exception handling that will show a friendly message when something in
the code blows up. If the exception happens in one of the template
parts of a page, that is where the friendly error page will display,
sometimes with part of the real layout already there. Unless the entire
page blows up, this error page kind of messes up the layout, because
(that I know of) to change about that, since the runtime doesn't know
about an error if it happens after parts of the response have already
been sent to the browser.

Oh well. That doesn't bother me. In fact, it helps me to debug because
I know which part of the page is having the error.

Keeping the error page simple helps keep it from looking really weird.
The 404 error page is more of a complete web page. The exception
handling error page is plain white.

I'm not very familiar with ASP (I don't know what you mean by setting
IIS to File), but it sounds like your error page is showing the error
page(s) for each individual request. Maybe there is a configuration you
could do that will tell it to error only once and be done with it.

Boyfriend: 3 years, 3 PCs. Each one purchased after the previous one
died.
Me: 9 years, 3 Macs. Each one purchased because I wanted it. They all
still work perfectly.