[thelist] What happened to my &#153 ?

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:54:17 CDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:54:52 -0400, Adam Slesinger <badlanners at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have been using numeric code character entities in all my websites and
> html newsletters because I know there some older and strage browsers out
> there that don't like the latin character entities.  Today, just for a
> sanity check, I went to my code reference to make sure that the
> Trademark symbol was &#153; and to my surprise, it was off the list!
> So, I checked some other online references and they were gone there as
> well.
>
> Did I miss something?  Did W3 change the standards on me?  I didn't get
> the memo. :P  Should I be moving away from programming with my beloved
> &#153's and &#174's and &#169's and moving to something else?

I created this list exactly for that reason

http://tntluoma.com/sidebars/codes/

Which shows only the allowable characters, and displays them as well so
you can easily check browser support (which is usually fine until you get
down to the way bottom).

It is also suitable for use as a "Sidebar" or "Panel" in Opera or Mozilla.

&#8482; or &trade; will work for Trademark.  I believe the other two are
still acceptable.

You are right that numbers generally work better, even down to NN4 in many
cases.

HTH
TjL