[thelist] Good Examples of XHTML Usage

Michael Pack michaelpack at wvdhhr.org
Wed Sep 3 22:20:01 CDT 2003

Ever since Web Design World last November in Boston when I started off
on my standards compliance journey after being amazed by Zeldman's
teachings, I have lived day to day with a great sense of accomplishment
in coding W3C compliant XHTML and CSS. I cringed up when reading the
document. This is one of the most misleading and confusing documents I
have came across regarding XHTML.

Print it and burn it (helped chill me out)! Ask yourself, does this
create an issue for me? I answered....No, when I code strict XHTML, I am
far closer to XML than I would be coding HTML.

The document is hammering away at sending XHTML as HTML....I don't send
my XHTML as text/html, I send it as text/xhtml, which is what it is. So,
now what is the problem? Confused to say the least.

We should cross our fingers daily in hopes that XHTML specifications
will be followed. Why, what will we gain? Standardization across
platforms and extensibility.....the html vision that was lost in the
"browser wars". I see XHTML as a product of lessons learned.

Michael L. Pack, MCIWD
Webmaster
Bureau for Children and Families
WVDHHR
350 Capitol Street, R730
Charleston, West Virginia 25301
Phone: 304-558-6596
Fax: 304-558-6646
http://www.adoptawvchild.org

Thompson, Daniel wrote:

>My confusion lies over this document, which I read recently and makes a
>*lot* of sense, as far as I can tell.
>
>Makes me think the whole xhtml thing is flat-out wrong.
>
>Should I go back to html 4.strict? Is that what Dan should be teaching?
>
>http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

I asked this same question a while back and got a good answer from Tom
Dell'Aringa:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20030721/145304.html

--
	Paul Bennett