[thelist] FYI - Plug this MS Application Hole

Jason Handby jasonh at corestar.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 09:52:29 CDT 2003

> > Do you think that Microsoft products have so many
> > security problems because they develop sub-par products, or because the
> > various flavours of Windows are the most commonly used OS, and therefore
> > come under more attack by "crackers"?

I think there's some truth in that. I expect you need to have a pretty large
population of networked machines running platform X to achieve the sort of
"critical mass" that will allow a worm written for platform X to really take
off. And, right now, that platform is Windows.

> > (I hope this doesn't start a flame war, I am just looking for some
> > informed opinions on this subject.)
>
> This definitely is a flame war discussion. I'm not sure that a
> meaningful discussion about this can be had on theList.

I'd tend to agree. I appreciate that Sarah's intention was not to start a
flame war, but I bet there are hundreds of people out there who are sitting
on their fingers and trying really hard not to be goaded into a reply right
now...!