[thelist] FYI - Plug this MS Application Hole

Scott Harman scott at enteractiontv.com
Thu Sep 4 12:04:17 CDT 2003

I've just trashed my last two cleverly crafted paras to simply say this:
It's simply too easy for media and critics alike to jump on the anti-ms
bandwagon whenever flaws occur or are exploited.

Take Slammer for example - the patch had been released some time before
the worm.  In the course of making the advisory, Microsoft made the
mechanism known.  The only people to be infected, were the unpatched.
It's quite rare that an exploit is used before a patch is made available
(RPC flaw anyone?)

Everyone has heard about the viruses that have infected millions of
machines, costing trillions of dollars... Blah blah blah... Fine.
Serious flaws here people... However the most seriously flawed parts of
the process are the users themselves.  From memory there are only a
couple of virii that can infect simply from viewing the content of an
e-mail (rather than double-clicking an attachment) but they didn't have
a huge impact.  Microsoft turned around and released a couple of
patches, and placed execution restrictions on html/active-x/java running
in a preview pane.

It's all about critical mass as Jason's said.  I'd wager that everyone
on this list knows all about the various apache and tomcat flaws and
security holes - but your average end user will never hear of them.

Like any large software release, bugs will be introduced (or as I like
to say, Hidden Features)  How many patches have I downloaded for XP - 70
or 80... How many for Mandrake 9... Last count - 300.  I'm not even
going to go into Macs - I use mine in the office too infrequently to
notice if it needs patching or not.

Just my 2p ;)