[thelist] dynamic text boxes

Mark Joslyn Mark.Joslyn at SolimarSystems.com
Thu Sep 4 19:06:34 CDT 2003

I in a little bit of a bind...

Situation:
I have a dynamic text box (field1) that is inside a movie clip (recordMC)
that is populated from an external .txt file. Everything is loading
perfectly, Now comes the tricky part - I want to now add formatting to the
text. I want the text to come in bold. Then when a user clicks a button, the
bold is turned off.

Problem:
I cannot get the dynamic text box to accept any formatting commands. It
seems like the only way to get formatting to work is if I created a text box
with actionscript instead of drawing one on the stage.

I have tried setTextFormat, but this seems to be ignored. Also, through
testing, the TextField.variable command is quirky. I have one movie that
uses TextField.variable and works fine, and I have another that uses the
exact same code, and it does not work - it requires an "_" to work (i.e.
TextField._variable). Has anyone else experienced this "bug".

Is there a way to get a dynamic text box - that is drawn on the stage - to
accept new formatting commands (bold, color, size) - without using HTML
commands in the external text file (I want to keep the external text file
super user-friendly - non-HTML users - for editing purposes)?

Any and all help appreciated.

mj