[thelist] mod_gzip -- what are the drawbacks?

Peter Lowe pgl at instinct.org
Fri Sep 5 00:30:34 CDT 2003

On Sep 05, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

> The fantabulous WebsiteOptimization Tool[1] suggested that I check out
> mod_gzip.
>
> Can anyone tell me what are the drawbacks?
>
> [1] http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Just tried out this service on one of my sites I have to say I wasn't
too impressed - mod_gzip is enabled on my server and the report still
stated "# This site is not using HTTP compression, otherwise called
content encoding using gzip. Consider compressing your textual content
(XHTML, JavaScript, etc.) with mod_gzip or similar products." (This
despite the previous page stating that compression is detected). It's a
pretty simple test to find out if gzip compression is being used or not
(just send the header "Accept-Encoding: gzip" and look for the header
recommending this to anyone.

cheers,

Peter

--
The Czech Republic: Home of the world's finest beer.
Litres drunk by Czechs so far this year: 1,111,400,707.27

 - http://prague.tv/toys/beer/