[thelist] mod_gzip -- what are the drawbacks?

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Fri Sep 5 13:01:00 CDT 2003

The only drawback I know of is that your server will have somewhat
higher cpu utilization since it has to compress some of the traffic
going out. Clients who are running browsers capable of handling
compressed data (most folks at this point) will also use a bit more cpu
to decompress the page you've sent. In my experience it is a huge
win...massive bandwidth savings and only a minor jump in cpu use.

-Pete