[thelist] I have a question (I'm a novice)

Alex Ezell taranis at spittingllamas.com
Fri Sep 5 13:12:59 CDT 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, 12:26:51 PM, Don wrote:

[snip]
> When he submits, we know that Bellsouth is
> his ISP, but, since they use dynamic IP addresses, we cant block a
> particular one and hope to have success.
[/snip]

Even if he does use Bellsouth with a dynamic IP, as long as he is not
on dial-up, chances are that he is using the same IP, unless he is
power-cycling his modem every time he connects. I doubt he's that
serious though. Assuming he is not using dial-up, your message board
software may have some sort of IP blocking mechanism. So, you could
block the IP's, delete his aliases, and require email verification
before registrations from now on.

As for the contest, it's hard to suggest anything without knowing what
technologies are available within the system running the contest.

--
Alex
http://www.spittingllamas.com