[thelist] Re: mod_gzip -- what are the drawbacks? (Peter Lowe)

george donnelly list at zettai.net
Fri Sep 5 15:31:18 CDT 2003

[Chris Neppes wrote (cneppes at port80software.com) on 9/5/03 1:00 PM]

> The tool on Websiteoptimization.com may not work for all servers.
>
> Try this compression check tool to see what compression would save you:
>
> http://www.port80software.com/support/p80tools

to answer the original question, i don't see any drawbacks to mod_gzip. i
have had a lot of success with it. i have read tho that some browsers (maybe
ns4) can not handle a css file that is gzipped and so one should not apply
gzip to that...

btw this tool says i get 75% compression on my front page.

<-->
george donnelly ~ http://www.zettai.net/ ~ "Quality Zope Hosting"
Shared and Dedicated Zope Hosting ~ Zope Servers ~ Zope Websites
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet ~ MSN: zettainet at hotmail.com ~ ICQ: 51907738