[thelist] photoshop blending

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Sep 5 16:04:29 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:25:30 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> The image is a beach with blue sky.  I am trying to achieve part of the bottom
> beach at the bottom and part of the top of the sky at the top.  It is 9.7mm H
> and 210mm W (landscape) so that the middle is white (for text) but I dont want
> the clean edges i get by just cutting out the middle.  It would be nice to have
> the full picture with the middle faded or just blended leaving white?

I don't know Photoshop, but the following works in GIMP (I imaging
that Photoshop is similar, if not GIMP is free).

* Select the area that you want to remove

* Switch to the Mask layer (with the buttons in the bottom left of the
  image window)

* Use the blur filter to blur the mask

* Switch back to the image layer

* Delete the selected region (which, as its blurred, will give a fade
  effect)

--
David Dorward                                       http://dorward.me.uk/