[thelist] IE6 is broken

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 8 21:19:47 CDT 2003

Well, I've spent many days on this and have finally realized that it
just ain't gonna work. It appears that IE6 has a bug that I haven't
seen anything written about yet. Here's what happens:

1. My stylesheet uses keywords (font-size:small), but if the units are
in pixels, I can reproduce the problem by going into the tools ->
accessibility and check the box to ignore font-sizes. The html code, by
the way, is very poorly written, with such attrocities as <span> tags
inside of <tr> that are left open, and <input type="hidden"> inside of
this bug because I can't reproduce it in a simple test page.
2. Set browser text size to anything other than medium. In this
example, the choice was "smaller."
3. Click on a link that opens a popup window.
4. Text on the main page behind the popup window repaints to the medium
size (which is quite large.) <h1> tags are especially huge.
5. Move the popup window around and it will repaint any text it
obscures to the medium size.
6. Hover over any link and watch the link text repaint to the medium
size.
7. Close the popup window and see that the browser has re-set the text
in the main browser window back to medium in the View -> Text Size menu.

Conclusion: Accessibility is broken for IE6. If my customers want to
increase or decrease their font-sizes they'll have to use a different
browser.

That's as good as I can do on this one. Every hack in the book did
absolutely nothing to combat this weirdness.