[thelist] Liquid help

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 09:24:17 CDT 2003

> Re: http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/liquid/index.html.
John Allsopp/Kelly Hallman
>> > what happens if they resize the browser window?  *grin*
>> .. I was kinda thrown by someone a few weeks ago on
>> here who said "I use Mac and my windows are never full screen"
> I don't think very many people should be browsing full screen anyway

I always browse full screen. 14" monitor. I'm a programmer more than a
visual designer, maybe that's the difference.

> I was able to get interesting (yet far from perfect) results by
> changing
>  the absolute pixel positioning to percentage offsets from the left
> for
> .i2-.i9 (i.e. left: 40%, left: 50%, etc). If liquidity is your desire,
>  don't think absolute pixel positioning has any place... :)

That works, what's "far from perfect"? And absolutely to the absolute
positioning (LOL), I'd laid it out solid and then I needed help to make
it liquid. To be honest, I hadn't even realised the CSS position could
be a percentage, although I spot it now mentioned once in O'Reilly, not
that I'm bitter or anything :-)

>> Well, the idea is that those images are chosen randomly from a stock,
>> so the visitor always sees a different mix of images.
> I think you're making things way too difficult on yourself. CSS is
> pretty powerful, but there is no substitute for 'designing'. What I
> mean to say is that there are successful and less-successful
> approaches/designs you could take, knowing what you know about CSS.
> Best to design a page in a way that compliments and leverages CSS than
> one that attempts to conform CSS to a particular design strategy.

Weeeell, I'd hate to disagree, but surely on a higher level, we should
decide what we want, and then try to make it happen, not limit ourselves
to what the tools can do. Otherwise we get the 'samey' problem where every
site's created with the same tools and looks, err, the same.

Obviously I disagree with myself in areas of navigation and usability
because here we definitely do want a site that does what we expect it
to. But since the bit I'm working on is a purely decorative,
motivational, marketing feature of the site I gave myself free reign.
Obviously I'm no-where near calling myself a graphic designer, so I'm
happy to be wrong, but, well, what you said has rattled around my head
for a while :-)

> For example, I would intersperse those pictures among the body text
> rather than trying to fight with CSS to get them to work the way you
> want them to in the header.  Though I admit the overlapping looks
> kinda cool when resizing the browser window.. :)

Well, I probably will if I can't get this to work, but with your help I
think we just did didn't we?

Cheers