[thelist] Linux, Apache, php Help Please

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Tue Sep 9 16:20:57 CDT 2003

Ron D. wrote:

> I am building a new test server with RedHat Linux 9, Apache 2.0.47, php
> 4.3.2. I am building the Apache and php from tarballs so I can compile
> MSSQL support into php. Also need SSL support. I have everything built
> with no errors.
>
> Problem is, when I access the site on the server, I get the php document
> source displayed instead of the document being rendered as html. Anyone
> have any pointers or fixes for this situation?

Ran into a significant difference between Apache 1.x and 2.x.  While I
could easily include php code in .html files under 1.x, I could not do
so safely in 2.x.  If I tweaked the config enough to make it interpret
all .html files through PHP, I got segfaults and dying child processes
for literally EVERY error line in my error_log.  Most annoying, and I
finally ended up making my php pages end with .php, and using redirects
to handle all the legacy .html pages already in the search engines.

More information on my (mis)adventures at http://simpleshop.org/httpdconf.php

If someone has a workaround that will let Apache 2.x execute PHP inline
in .html files the way 1.x used to, I'd like to hear about it too.