[thelist] Re: IE6 broken

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 21:05:56 CDT 2003

Can't use ems or % or "smaller" for font-size because of the cumulative
effect. The site uses templates (as in struts, jsp and taglibs), and
sometimes the same template is nested in more templates on one jsp than
on another, with the effect being that that on one jsp the font-sizes
are tinier than on others. Don't use tables you say? It is tabular data
and the layout is too complicated to do with css and div tags. Then
there is the problem of the PDF generator that requires unclosed <span>
tags inside of <tr> tags and all the other quirks. There's just no hope.

But still, I see the problem on sites with perfect code, too. I still
think the browser is broken. Have you used IE6 and seen the effect of
clicking on a link and seeing the text size get really big before the
page changes? You can see this if you go to a site with good code, set
the browser in a size other than medium, and click on a link. Sometimes
it has to be a link you haven't clicked on before, so clear out your
history.