[thelist] What's worse? opinions wanted!!

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 05:02:49 CDT 2003

rudy wrote [*]:
> nested tables allow you much simpler control over what goes where and in
> particular you can have different amounts of cellpadding, etc, in order to
> space things out nicely

However, using nested tables for this is a sure sign that you really
need to look in to CSS a bit more. The CSS padding property is supported
by all modern browsers, and even Netscape 4 can handle CSS margins well
enough for the nested table to be replaceable with a single div with a
margin specifying the amount of padding you want in the cell.

This is why people who work with the web on a daily basis are doing
themselves a disservice by not learning CSS. Even if you don't start
churning out pure CSS layouts (which can have their own failings) even
learning a few CSS tricks can allow you to dump literally kilobytes of
garbage markup from your HTML. Nested tables and spacer gifs are the key
examples, but the more CSS you pick up the more you realise how truly
bloated most site's HTML really is.

Cheers,

Simon

[*] This quote is out of context: I'm sure rudy already knows how to
eliminate nested tables using CSS