[thelist] Another Personal Firewall Quirk [was JavaScript open.window CGI-B IN question]

John.Brooking at NA.SAPPI.COM John.Brooking at NA.SAPPI.COM
Thu Sep 11 15:29:30 CDT 2003

Amy Johnson wrote:
>Yes!  That's what it is!  I have recently installed the Norton
>Personal Firewall and it was blocking the popup windows.  Strange how

Just FYI, this reminds me of another little-documented feature of NPF which
I stumbled across a few months ago: it mangles the HTTP_REFERER variable. I
was going to post a tip on this, but it just so happens that Garrett Coakley
already did, and just last week, too. FMI, see his tip entitled "Bogus HTTP
Headers" posted the week of 9/1.

- John
This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.