[thelist] IIS Write Permissions

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Thu Sep 11 18:41:59 CDT 2003

Adam Slesinger wrote:
> Trouble is in production.  Turns out the clients environment is different
> than ours in the fact that their SMTP server is on a different machine
> than the webserver.  So, they have to set two permissions. 1) To allow
> the webserver to write files to a directory on the webserver, and 2) to
> allow the webserver to move those files off the webserver and dump them
> into a folder on the SMTP server.

Does the webserver have an SMTP server at all?

If it does, you can just use the method you were using, and set the web
server's IIS SMTP server to relay all email to the actual mail server.
Problem solved.

If not, then you can do as you suggested, with appropriate fudging of
permissions (bear in mind that IIS normally runs as a local-machine
user, not a domain user; there will be no implied privs on the other
server).

Otherwise, investigate the ASPQMail component (or similar), which is
an SMTP component which will send asynchronously. Personally, I'd say
this would be an easier solution than messing with filesystemobjects,
but that's just me.

Side note: I'm not sold on the article you quoted at all. It seems to
be under the impression that CDONTS connects synchronously to
the SMTP server, ASPMail-style, leading to blocking: it is very
much my understanding that all the CDONTS objects do is... well,
dump a file in the pickup directory, exactly as the code in the
article does. CDONTS objects should not be a significant performance
hit. They never have been with us, sending 180K-200K emails in one
hit (not from an ASP script, but still in a _very_ timely fashion).

Paul